Cybercrimes and steps to prevent and control
In the present day scenario, one of the most significant threats faced by a typical individual is identity theft. This includes securing your computer system, installing anti-virus software, and installing firewalls on all your computer components to prevent unauthorized access of your system data.
How to protect yourself against cybercrime
- Use a full-service internet security suite
- Use strong passwords
- Keep your software updated
- Manage your social media settings
- Strengthen your home network
- Talk to your children about the internet
- Keep up to date on major security breaches
Steps taken by the Government to spread awareness about cyber crimes:
- Online cybercrime reporting portal
- Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre (I4C)
- National Critical Information Infrastructure Protection Centre (NCIIPC)
- Cyber Swachhta Kendra
- Formulation of Crisis Management Plan
What needs to be done ahead?
- Regularly issue alerts/advisories
- Capacity building/training of law enforcement personnel/ prosecutors/ judicial officers.
- Improving cyber forensics facilities etc.
- Speed up investigation.
Causes of Cyber Crime in India
Cybercriminals always choose an easy way to make big money. They target rich people or rich organizations like banks, casinos and financial firms where the transaction of a huge amount of money is made on an everyday basis and hack sensitive information.
- Easy to access
- Loss of Evidence
What are the Top 5 cyber crimes?
- Phishing Scams
- Website Spoofing
- IOT Hacking
How a crime becomes a cybercrime Extortion, theft, sexual assault and harassment, blackmailing, stalking, terrorism, defamation, crimes related to obscenity, forgery etc. are some regular crimes punishable under Indian Penal Code.